While presenting this story, Bertolucci undertakes nothing less than a visual history of the cinema, employing every style from the earliest days of silent film onward. As the plot advances, the cinematic style grows increasingly modern. Alienation, sexual confusion, Oedipal rage, incredible risks taken to slake momentary lust, betrayal, nice clothes, and lovely interiors: classic Bertolucci themes, fully explored here for the first time. Il Conformista remains one of the most beautiful films and certainly Bertolucci’s most coherent work, an accomplishment of genius. It’s never tedious, pretentious, or overly arty. It can be disturbing as hell.
- WE ARE BACK! *** MONDAY November 11th, 2019 *** Celebrating our 11th Anniversary & JJ’s Birthday! *** “Zama” DIRECTED BY: Lucrecia Martel *** The first in a series of Argentine films.
- Cinematiki will be temporarily closed for a few weeks.
- *** MONDAY October 7th, 2019 *** The Price of Everything *** DIRECTED BY Nathaniel Kahn*** INTERPRETED BY Jeff Koons, Paul Schimmel, and Larry Poons
- *** MONDAY September 30th, 2019 *** The Marriage of Maria Braun *** DIRECTED BY Rainer Werner Fassbinder*** INTERPRETED BY Hanna Schygulla, Klaus Löwitsch, Ivan Desny, and Gisela Uhlen
- *** MONDAY September 23rd, 2019 *** The Lives of Others *** DIRECTED BY Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck *** INTERPRETED BY Ulrich Mühe, Martina Gedeck, Sebastian Koch