While presenting this story, Bertolucci undertakes nothing less than a visual history of the cinema, employing every style from the earliest days of silent film onward. As the plot advances, the cinematic style grows increasingly modern. Alienation, sexual confusion, Oedipal rage, incredible risks taken to slake momentary lust, betrayal, nice clothes, and lovely interiors: classic Bertolucci themes, fully explored here for the first time. Il Conformista remains one of the most beautiful films and certainly Bertolucci’s most coherent work, an accomplishment of genius. It’s never tedious, pretentious, or overly arty. It can be disturbing as hell.
Potluck: 5:45PM Movie: 6:45PM
- *** MONDAY September 16th, 2019 *** Never Look Away *** DIRECTED BY Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck *** INTERPRETED BY Tom Schilling, Sebastian Koch, Paula Beer
- *** MONDAY September 9th, 2019 *** As You Like It *** DIRECTED BY Kenneth Branagh *** INTERPRETED BY Takuya Shimada, Brian Blessed, Richard Clifford
- *** MONDAY September 2nd, 2019 *** Ran *** DIRECTED BY Akira Kurosawa *** INTERPRETED BY Tatsuya Nakadai, Akira Terao, Jinpachi Nezu
- *** MONDAY August 26th, 2019 *** Richard III *** DIRECTED BY Laurence Olivier *** INTERPRETED BY Sir Laurence Olivier, Sir John Gielgud, Sir CedricHardwicke, Sir R. Richardson, Laurence Naismith, Claire Bloom and Stanley Baker
- *** MONDAY August 19th, 2019 *** Much Ado About Nothing *** DIRECTED BY Kenneth Branagh *** INTERPRETED BY Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Keanu Reeves