While presenting this story, Bertolucci undertakes nothing less than a visual history of the cinema, employing every style from the earliest days of silent film onward. As the plot advances, the cinematic style grows increasingly modern. Alienation, sexual confusion, Oedipal rage, incredible risks taken to slake momentary lust, betrayal, nice clothes, and lovely interiors: classic Bertolucci themes, fully explored here for the first time. Il Conformista remains one of the most beautiful films and certainly Bertolucci’s most coherent work, an accomplishment of genius. It’s never tedious, pretentious, or overly arty. It can be disturbing as hell.
- MONDAY AUGUST 20TH, 2018 **** BLOW-UP *** DIRECTED BY MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI, STARRING David Hemmings, Vanessa Redgrave AND Sarah Miles
- Monday August 13th, 2018 *** “All the President’s Men”*** Directed by Alan J. Pakula *** interpreted by Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford and Jack Warden
- Oops, a slight mistake, “The Cake Maker” isn’t available yet so on Monday August 6th, 2018 we will be showing ***“Judgment at Nuremberg”*** Directed by Stanley Kramer *** interpreted by Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster and Richard Widmark
- Monday Aug 6th “The Cake Maker” Directed by Ofir Raul Graizer
- Monday July 30th, 2018 *** “The Death of Stalin”*** Directed by Armando Iannucci *** interpreted by Steve Buscemi, Simon Russell Beale and Jeffrey Tambor