While presenting this story, Bertolucci undertakes nothing less than a visual history of the cinema, employing every style from the earliest days of silent film onward. As the plot advances, the cinematic style grows increasingly modern. Alienation, sexual confusion, Oedipal rage, incredible risks taken to slake momentary lust, betrayal, nice clothes, and lovely interiors: classic Bertolucci themes, fully explored here for the first time. Il Conformista remains one of the most beautiful films and certainly Bertolucci’s most coherent work, an accomplishment of genius. It’s never tedious, pretentious, or overly arty. It can be disturbing as hell.
- Monday April 23rd, 2018 *** Pan’s Labyrinth*** Directed by Guillermo del Toro *** interpreted by Ivana Baquero, Ariadna Gil and Sergi López
- Monday April 16th, 2018 *** Immortal Beloved*** Directed by Bernard Rose *** interpreted by Gary Oldman, Jeroen Krabbé and Isabella Rossellini
- Monday April 9th, 2018 *** Boogie Nights *** Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson *** interpreted by Mark Wahlberg, Julianne Moore, Burt Reynolds, Philip Seymour Hoffman, John C. Reilly, Ricky Jay
- Monday April 2nd, 2018 *** Capote *** Directed by Bennett Miller *** interpreted by Philip Seymour Hoffman, Clifton Collins Jr., Catherine Keener
- Monday March 26th, 2018 *** The Red Shoes *** Directed by Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger *** interpreted by Anton Walbrook, Marius Goring, Moira Shearer