While presenting this story, Bertolucci undertakes nothing less than a visual history of the cinema, employing every style from the earliest days of silent film onward. As the plot advances, the cinematic style grows increasingly modern. Alienation, sexual confusion, Oedipal rage, incredible risks taken to slake momentary lust, betrayal, nice clothes, and lovely interiors: classic Bertolucci themes, fully explored here for the first time. Il Conformista remains one of the most beautiful films and certainly Bertolucci’s most coherent work, an accomplishment of genius. It’s never tedious, pretentious, or overly arty. It can be disturbing as hell.
Potluck: 5:45PM Movie: 6:45PM
- *** MONDAY March 18th, 2019 *** Two for the Road *** DIRECTED BY Stanley Donen *** INTERPRETED BY Audrey Hepburn, Albert Finney and Eleanor Bron
- *** MONDAY March 11th, 2019 *** At Eternity’s Gate *** DIRECTED BY Julian Schnabel *** INTERPRETED BY Willem Dafoe, Rupert Friend, Oscar Isaac, Mads Mikkelsen, and Niels Arestrup
- *** MONDAY March 4th, 2019 *** Green Book *** DIRECTED BY Peter Farrelly *** INTERPRETED BY Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali and Linda Cardellini
- ***MONDAY February 25th, 2019*** ***Won’t you be thy neighbor*** Documentary directed by Morgan Neville
- *** MONDAY February 18th, 2019 *** RBG *** DOCUMENTARY DIRECTED BY Betsy West and Julie Cohen